Region VI 2015 CRC
Companions' Tour Agenda
Pick up Companions at hotel at 8:30 a.m. Start with driving tour of Arsenal Island including: the National Cemetery, the Confederate Cemetery, Ft. Armstrong memorial, Colonel Davenport Home, the Clock Tower, the Country Club, ending with a walking tour of Quarters One Mansion (the second largest government owned residence, second to the White House).
We will proceed to the village of LeClaire, IA. Here you will see shops of wine, chocolate, coffee, art, jewelry, clothing, home and kitchen décor, popcorn, antiques, gifts and more. Attractions include Mississippi River Distillery, Buffalo Bill Museum, Scott County Freedom Rock, and Antique Archeology – home of the American Pickers from the History Channel. You know – Mike, Frank, and Danielle? Lunch will follow at the Crane and Pelican restaurant in a mansion on a hill overlooking the town and the Mississippi River; a beautiful view.
Description of Features of driving tour of Arsenal Island. The Rock Island Arsenal is an active U.S. Army facility located on a 946-acre island on the Mississippi River between the Quad Cities of Davenport, Iowa and Rock Island and Moline, Illinois. The island features many historical attractions. A replica of the Fort Armstrong blockhouses built in 1816, which was used to keep the peace as a military headquarters. We have the Colonel Davenport House. It was built in 1833 by a fur trader named Colonel George Davenport. A monument marks the first railroad bridge across the Mississippi River. The steamboat Effie Afton hit the Rock Island Bridge in 1856, the ensuing fire destroyed the boat and damaged the bridge, creating a court case between the railroad and the ship company. Attorney Abraham Lincoln served as a lawyer for the Bridge Company, successfully defending them in a lawsuit from the ship owners. The island features an 1896 era government-owned Government Bridge for rail, river and car traffic. Its swing span rotates 360 degrees to allow river traffic to pass through. It is one of two similar existing bridges in the world. Accompanying the bridge is Lock & Dam 15, operated by the Corps of Engineers. It has a Visitor Center allowing an excellent vantage point to observe and learn about the lock and dam.
The only tangible remains of the prison barracks used in the Civil War Prison camps is the Confederate Cemetery located here at RIA. The Prison camp was one of 21 camps operated by the Union during the war. Grave markers identify the individual soldier, his company and his unit. The Rock Island National Cemetery is one of 117 national cemeteries. Established in 1863 as the post cemetery for Union prison guards it now covers 70 acres and has approximately 24,000 grave markers.
The Rock Island Arsenal Museum opened to the public on July 4, 1905 and is the second oldest U.S. Army museum. The primary mission of the museum is to portray the history of Rock Island Arsenal and Arsenal Island.
Quarters One - This majestic and historic 21,965 S.F., 51-room Italianate style villa designed by General Thomas Rodman and completed by his successor Lt. Col. D.W. Flagler is the second largest residence in the Federal Government System, second only to the White House. Constructed from 1870-1872, it served as the residence of the highest-ranking officer on the Rock Island Arsenal until 2008.